Candle Care & Safety
Calmare candles need a little TLC to achieve the optimum burn out of your candle.
- Trim your wicks to 5-10mm before lighting your candle each time. If your wick is too long it will flicker and smoke. If it is too short it will drown in the wax.
- Burn your candle long enough. You always need to burn your candle long enough for all the wax to melt across the top of the jar. This could take 1-2hrs. If you don't burn your candle until the wax melts across the top you will cause tunneling and you will be left with wax around the edges of the jar.
- Calmare candles are designed to be burned for a maximum of 3hrs at a time. If you burn for longer you risk the wicks drowning and the jar becoming too hot.
- To extinguish your candle gently blow the flame out, put the lid on or use a cloche. We use all cotton wicks in our candles so they will ball on the top. If you blow too hard you will blow the ball off and it will end up in your molten wax.
- Wait until your candle has re-solidified and trim the ball off the wick, keeping the wick to 5-10mm in length.
- If you find you have soot on the inside of your jar this could indicate your wick was too long, your candle was in a drafty area or you burnt your candle longer than the recommended time.
- When the jar is cool wipe soot off with a damp paper towel.
- Place your candle in an area free from drafts, open windows/doors, fans and direct sunlight.
- Do not leave your candle in a hot car or in direct sunlight. Soy wax has a low melt point and doing this may cause your candle to melt.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended or out of sight.
- Do not throw water or blow harshly to extinguish the flame.
- Stop burning when there is 10mm of unmelted wax in the bottom of the jar. Burning to the bottom may cause the glass to crack.
- Never move a burning candle. Ensure candle is extinguished, wax is solid and jar is cold before handling.
- Glass may become hot. Burn candle on an appropriate flat, heat-resistant surface and do not touch glass until cool.
- Keep away from children, pets and flammable materials.
- When not burning keep the lid on the candle to prevent dust settling. Before burning make sure the burn pool is clean.
Container candle burn times will vary. Fragrance, burning habits and environmental conditions affect the time a candle will last. Calmare candles are recommended to be burnt within 6 months of purchase or at least started for optimum results. Soy wax expands in the jar due to temperature fluctuations and if not lit the wicks will become too small to maintain a flame.