Calmare candles need a little TLC to achieve the optimum burn out of your candle.
- Trim your wicks to 5-10mm before lighting your candle each time. If your wick is too long it will flicker and smoke. If it is too short it will drown in the wax.
- Your first burn should be for at least 1hr. Keep your candle burning until a full burn pool has been reached. This is when the wax has melted all the way to the edge. This creates a "burn memory" for your candle and will ensure future burns will burn correctly and use all of the wax in your jar.
- Candles are designed to be burned for a minimum of 1hr to a maximum of 3hrs at a time.
- To extinguish your candle gently blow the flame out, put the lid on or use a cloche. We use all cotton wicks in our candles so they will ball on the top. If you blow too hard you will blow the ball off and it will end up in your molten wax.
- Wait until your candle has re-solidified and trim the ball off the wick, keeping the wick to 5-10mm in length.
- If you find you have soot on the inside of your jar this could indicate your wick was too long, your candle was in a drafty area or you burnt your candle longer than the recommended time.
- When the jar is cool wipe soot off with a damp paper towel.
- Place your candle in an area free from drafts, open windows/doors and fans.
- Do not leave your candle in a hot car or in direct sunlight. Soy wax has a low melt point and doing this may cause your candle to melt.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended or out of sight.
- Do not throw water or blow harshly to extinguish the flame.
- Stop burning when 5-10mm of unmelted wax remains in the bottom of the glass.
- Never move a burning candle. Ensure candle is extinguished, wax is solid and jar is cold before handling.
- Glass may become hot. Burn candle on an appropriate flat, heat-resistant surface and do not touch glass until cool.
- Keep away from children, pets and flammable materials.
- When not burning keep the lid on the candle to prevent dust settling. Before burning make sure the burn pool is clean.
Container candle burn times will vary. Fragrance, burning habits and environmental conditions affect the time a candle will last. Calmare candles are recommended to be used within 1 year of purchase for optimum results.